- WCI supports the Electricity Security and Affordability Act (S. 1905; H.R. 3826) to ensure the viability of American coal as an affordable energy source.
- This legislation will help fortify coal producers that ship on the inland waterways. Access to affordable energy sources in all forms strengthens our nation’s economy. The implementation of the EPA’s new, stringent standards for the coal industry threatens the livelihood of coal miners, producers, shippers and specific coal-producing states.
- “Achieving true energy independence demands that we not only start realizing the importance that coal has in achieving this goal, it means we must also stop demonizing one resource and start developing a comprehensive plan that utilizes all of our domestic resources – coal, natural gas, biomass, nuclear, wind and solar - so that we can, once and for all, end our dependence on foreign oil within this generation.” (Senator Joe Manchin, West Virginia)
The Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) greenhouse gas emissions plan will cost America’s economy more than $50 billion annually between now and 2030, according to a new report issued by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for 21st Century Energy. “Assessing the Impact of Potential New Carbon Regulations in the United States,” the report estimates the economic impacts associated with the EPA’s Clean Air Act, section 111.
Specifically, the impact would be:
- Lowered U.S. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by $51 billion on average every year through 2030
- 224,000 fewer U.S. jobs on average each year through 2030
- U.S. consumers to pay $289 billion more for electricity through 2030
- Lower total disposable income for U.S. households by $586 billion through 2030
- Trump's proposed budget features steep cuts to fund military, homeland security and aid veterans Mar 18, 2017 - Chattanooga Times/Free Press
- BRIEF: Early Mississippi River shipping season begins with first vessel in metro Mar 11, 2017 - Pioneer Press
- Spring is almost here: Mississippi opens for navigation, area lakes ice-out Mar 10, 2017 - Star Tribune