- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last four appropriations, with increases in FY ’14 – ’15 and record funding for O&M in FY ’16 and ’17.
Funding Chart Here
While the private sector constantly innovates its operations, our 21st century economy relies on 1930s technology for our lock and dam infrastructure.
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video (below) and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
- Funding secured for Montgomery Locks and Dam repair projectJun 22, 2018 - Beaver County Times
- Army Corps plans projects in regionJun 16, 2018 - Messenger-Inquirer
- Corps budget allocates $76.5 million this year for building new Chickamauga LockJun 13, 2018 - Chattanooga Times/Free Press
- Paddlefest changes route to draw interest to lock and dam May 24, 2018 - The Augusta Chronicle
- Learn how to lock through the Allegheny River at Lockfest May 9, 2018 - The Valley News-Dispatch
- Boaters beware: Army Corps late setting safety buoys at dangerous river dams May 8, 2018 - The Valley News-Dispatch