- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last four appropriations, with increases in FY ’14 – ’15 and record funding for O&M in FY ’16 and ’17.
Funding Chart Here
While the private sector constantly innovates its operations, our 21st century economy relies on 1930s technology for our lock and dam infrastructure.
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video (below) and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
- Asian carp found again in lower Wisconsin RiverNov 23, 2017 - Jefferson Post (West Jefferson, N.C.)
- EDITORIAL: Toward cleaner energyNov 15, 2017 - Baker City Herald
- Illinois politicians want to improve roads and bridges, but can the state afford it?Nov 11, 2017 - Bladen Journal (Elizabethtown, N.C.)
- Mayor Tim Kabat: Local efforts key to protecting Mississippi River, combating climate change Dec 14, 2017 - La Crosse Tribune
- CPA: Housatonic River dredging project completed Dec 9, 2017 - Connecticut Post
- Illinois politicians want to improve roads and bridges, but can the state afford it? Nov 11, 2017 - Bladen Journal (Elizabethtown, N.C.)