- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last four appropriations, with increases in FY ’14 – ’15 and record funding for O&M in FY ’16 and ’17.
Funding Chart Here
While the private sector constantly innovates its operations, our 21st century economy relies on 1930s technology for our lock and dam infrastructure.
- Waterways Council, Inc. Posts Corps’ 2016 Revetment Sinking Operations Schedule (September 1-November 23)
2016 Schedule Here
- Waterways Council, Inc. Reacts to ASCE 2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure
WCI Press Release
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
- Army Corps of Engineers dispute claim about lowering pool at Lock and DamMar 20, 2017 - The Augusta Chronicle
- Trump's proposed budget features steep cuts to fund military, homeland security and aid veteransMar 18, 2017 - Chattanooga Times/Free Press
- Invasive silver carp found for the first time in St. Croix RiverMar 17, 2017 - Pioneer Press
- Trump's proposed budget features steep cuts to fund military, homeland security and aid veterans Mar 18, 2017 - Chattanooga Times/Free Press
- BRIEF: Early Mississippi River shipping season begins with first vessel in metro Mar 11, 2017 - Pioneer Press
- Spring is almost here: Mississippi opens for navigation, area lakes ice-out Mar 10, 2017 - Star Tribune