- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last four appropriations, with increases in FY ’14 – ’15 and record funding for O&M in FY ’16 and ’17.
Funding Chart Here
While the private sector constantly innovates its operations, our 21st century economy relies on 1930s technology for our lock and dam infrastructure.
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video (below) and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
- River expected to crest slightly above flood stage in PomeroyApr 6, 2018 - The Daily Sentinel (Pomeroy, Ohio)
- Allen speaks on gun violence, lock and damMar 29, 2018 - The Augusta Chronicle
- Corps of Engineers deploys aid to Puerto RicoMar 29, 2018 - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin
- River expected to crest slightly above flood stage in Pomeroy Apr 6, 2018 - The Daily Sentinel (Pomeroy, Ohio)
- Corps of Engineers deploys aid to Puerto Rico Mar 29, 2018 - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin
- Corps to replace McNary turbines Mar 26, 2018 - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin