- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last four appropriations, with increases in FY ’14 – ’15 and record funding for O&M in FY ’16 and ’17.
Funding Chart Here
While the private sector constantly innovates its operations, our 21st century economy relies on 1930s technology for our lock and dam infrastructure.
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video (below) and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
- EDITORIAL: Reduced inland waterways support will spawn new costsFeb 17, 2018 - The Gazette (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Allegheny River lock, dam repairs funded under Trump's budget planFeb 14, 2018 - The Valley News-Dispatch
- Trump budget contains no funding for locks and dams replacementFeb 14, 2018 - Beaver County Times
- EDITORIAL: Reduced inland waterways support will spawn new costs Feb 17, 2018 - The Gazette (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
- Allegheny River lock, dam repairs funded under Trump's budget plan Feb 14, 2018 - The Valley News-Dispatch
- BRIEF: Construction at Lock and Dam 18 to finish March 6 Feb 1, 2018 - The Hawk Eye