- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last four appropriations, with increases in FY ’14 – ’15 and record funding for O&M in FY ’16 and ’17.
Funding Chart Here
While the private sector constantly innovates its operations, our 21st century economy relies on 1930s technology for our lock and dam infrastructure.
- Waterways Council, Inc. Posts Corps’ 2016 Revetment Sinking Operations Schedule (September 1-November 23)
2016 Schedule Here
- Waterways Council, Inc. Reacts to ASCE 2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure
WCI Press Release
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
- Agency completes work on locks at eight dams on Columbia and SnakeApr 13, 2017 - Lewiston Morning Tribune
- Removal of Green River Lock and Dam No. 6 underwayMar 30, 2017 - Glasgow Daily Times
- Funding future cloudy for Chickamauga LockMar 29, 2017 - The Knoxville News-Sentinel
- EDITORIAL: Law protects our scenic rivers Apr 27, 2017 - Muskogee Phoenix
- Agency completes work on locks at eight dams on Columbia and Snake Apr 13, 2017 - Lewiston Morning Tribune
- Removal of Green River Lock and Dam No. 6 underway Mar 30, 2017 - Glasgow Daily Times