- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last five appropriations bills, with increases in FY ’14 – ’19 and record funding for O&M as well.
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video (below) and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
“Product Export Flows of Dredging the Lower Mississippi” (May 2018)
- 7-foot boa found near Lock and Dam 13Oct 5, 2018 - Clinton Herald
- Lake levels, river flow rise after heavy rains north of ChattanoogaSep 27, 2018 - Chattanooga Times/Free Press
- Knowing the cost of bad infrastructureSep 16, 2018 - Moscow-Pullman Daily News
- 7-foot boa found near Lock and Dam 13 Oct 5, 2018 - Clinton Herald
- Money Flowing to Lower Mon Work to Replace Aging Locks and Dams Sep 14, 2018 -
- Instead of removing toxic waste seeping into Illinois' only scenic river, power company wants to wall it off with rocks Sep 12, 2018 - Chicago Tribune