- WCI supports increasing the budget for O&M by $100 million
- Adequate dredging is critical to support authorized channel widths and depths to ensure the reliability of commercial operations
- Controlling costs through hours of operation and right-sizing the work force is important, but efforts to cut costs should not merely mean transferring the cost to industry through delays
While funding in constant dollars for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) on America’s inland navigation system had remained flat for decades, Congress has begun to address the shortfall in the last four appropriations, with increases in FY ’14 – ’15 and record funding for O&M in FY ’16 and ’17.
Funding Chart Here
While the private sector constantly innovates its operations, our 21st century economy relies on 1930s technology for our lock and dam infrastructure.
- Waterways Council, Inc. Posts Corps’ 2016 Revetment Sinking Operations Schedule (September 1-November 23)
2016 Schedule Here
- Waterways Council, Inc. Reacts to ASCE 2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure
WCI Press Release
- On October 7, 2011, a 280-foot section of the Lockport Wall in Illinois collapsed into the river. Watch this video and understand more about the degradation of our nation’s lock and dam infrastructure.
Securing the Nation’s Future Through Water
- As more boats, kayaks enjoy region's rivers, officials urge safetyAug 16, 2017 - The Valley News-Dispatch
- Two lift gates to be replaced at Montgomery Locks and Dam for $5.6 millionAug 10, 2017 - Beaver County Times
- Army Corps of Engineers plans $275 million in defenses to block Asian carp from reaching Great LakesAug 8, 2017 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Noise, more electric barriers proposed to stop Asian carp in Great Lakes region Aug 5, 2017 - Detroit Free Press
- BRIEF: River warning buoys moved by high water, Army Corps says Aug 2, 2017 - The Valley News-Dispatch
- Nickajack, Chickamauga dams opening for public tours for first time since 9/11 Jul 5, 2017 - Chattanooga Times/Free Press